For questions 1-10, identify the one underlined part in each sentence that is grammatically or idiomatically incorrect.
For questions 11-20, choose the most appropriate word or phrase to complete each sentence.
- Most(A) successful businesspeople and advertiser(B) have some(C) knowledge of psychology and use(D) it to increase business.
- In a Western society such as(A) the United States or Canada, which has(B) many national, religious, and culture(C) differences, people highly value individualism(D).
- E.Manfred Evans Community Adult School is(A) a Los Angeles City School specialize(B) in teaching(C) students to communicate(D) in English.
- In some areas, there is a movement to the countryside; to contrast(A), millions of(B) people are moving away(C) from rural areas(D) in other countries.
- People has worried(A) about smog for many years, and(B) the government has spent billions of dollars trying to clean up(C) the air of big cities(D).
- A person who participates(A) in fads should remember(B) that they come and go very fast, and it(C) often come back in style(D) after 10 to 15 years of being "out."
- Before(A) I came here to travel and later(B) to study, I guess I have(C) a lot of stereotypes(D) about North Americans.
- It's difficult(A) to say how many refugees are there(B) worldwide(C); it depends(D) on the definition of the word "refugee."
- Although hunger drives thousands－sometimes millions(A)－of people from their homeland each year(B), but(C) some experts point out that for the first time in human history, there is no natural reason for famine(D).
- Crime rates have always been(A) high in multicultural, industrialized(B), democratic societies such as the United States, but a new phenomenon(C) has appeared on the world scene-rapid(D) rising crime rates in nations that previously reported few offenses.
For questions 21-25, choose the answer that best matches the meaning of the underlined word or phrase as it is used in the sentence.
- ______ a great variety of languages, religious beliefs, and customs among the many tribes, or groups, of Indians.
- It has
- There was
- It is said
- Is there
- In history books, objective information about the political life of a country is presented; ______, facts about politics are given, but opinions are not expressed.
- there are
- to be short
- that is
- A tattoo is a design or mark ______ a kind of dye into a cut in the skin.
- which puts
- made by putting
- which is put
- Smell, Wysocki said, ______ the only sensory system to directly project into limbic system, making it perhaps our most basic, primitive sense.
- which is
- to be
- ______ to look for an explanation of gender differences is in the hypothalamus, just above the brain stem.
- There is one place
- One place which is
- One place that
- One place
- In the medical profession, technology is advancing ______ questions of law and ethics cannot be discussed and answered fast enough.
- so fast that
- much faster than
- very fast
- Pasteur's germ theory proved to be valid ______ a major breakthrough in the history of medicine.
- it being
- that it is
- and was
- because it is
- Heat flows from a warmer object to a cooler one ______ the temperatures are equal.
- so as to
- as long as
- in order to make
- An adult sea star or hydra can be chopped into many pieces and each piece can regenerate all necessary parts ______.
- to a whole individual
- to become a whole individual
- as individuals
- as individually
- Hospital patients ______ as a pain reliever sometimes develop a physical dependence on the drug.
- giving morphine
- who give morphine
- who are given morphine
- those are given morphine
- Newton's discoveries affected the philosophy and science of Western civilization for several centuries.
- To make sure the names were chosen by chance, the computer was programmed to list them at random.
- without order
- in order
- in rotation
- at the bottom
- Animal tissues are soft and pliable whereas plants tend to retain their form to a much greater degree.
- inasmuch as
- while on the contrary
- while in fact
- The government levies a heavy excise tax on tobacco and alcohol.
- Many icebergs are as large as small islands and become a menace to navigation.