For questions 1-10, identify the one underlined part in each sentence that is grammatically or idiomatically incorrect or inappropriate. Then, mark the corresponding letter on your answer sheet.
For questions 11-20, choose the most appropriate word or phrase to complete each sentence. Then, mark the corresponding letter on your answer sheet.
- Prefer to(A) spend most of its(B) time on the ground, the roadrunner is found(C) in arid, open areas such as(D) deserts and plains.
- Not until late(A) in the 1930s there was(B) noticeable(C) attempt to provide a form of(D) equality.
- The hammering impact of(A) uncompromisimg writers and an increasing aroused(B) public spurred(C) political leaders to practical measures(D).
- Powers are carefully separated and balanced(A) among executive, legislation(B), and judicial branches to avoid centralization(C) of powers and resultant tyranny(D).
- Professor Johnson was displeased(A) because one of his student had turned in(B) an unacceptable report, so(C) he made him to rewrite(D) it.
- Although a well-balanced(A) diet is necessary for(B) good health, exercise(C) is the essential factor that is crucial in maintaining(D) fitness.
- The sisters'(A) testimony not only implicated(B) the leaders of the group(C) but also their(D) subordinates and relatives.
- The enhancements(A) of creative thinking is primal to(B) the advancement of any(C) educational system(D).
- Jason's wisdom teeth were troubling(A) him, so(B) he went to a dentist to see about(C) having them pull(D).
- The Constitution(A) requires that a candidate for(B) the presidency(C) of the United States is(D) at least thirty-five years old.
For questions 21-25, choose the answer that best matches the meaning of the underlined word or phrase as it is used in the sentence.
- Best known of American primitive artists is Grandma Moses, ______ paintings are familiar to thousands.
- Physicials were disturbed to find that an alarming number of bacteria ______ developing a tolerance to penicillin.
- has been
- have been
- ______ that the contract should be cleared by our lawyers before we consult the Department of Commerce.
- They are evident
- It is evidently
- Evident as is
- It is evident
- ______ the religious upheavals of the 16th and 17th centuries, a body of men and women called Puritans sought to reform the Established Church of England from within.
- As the people rallied from the initial shock and began seeking explanations, they noted unhealthy trends ______ beneath the prosperous facade of the 1920s.
- that has gone unobserved
- that had gone unobserved
- which had gone unobserving
- which has gone unobserving
- Wiping away tears of joy, the actor said that ______ nominated for the reward enough, but winning was not to be imagined.
- have been
- having been
- When the wind died at sunset, ______ only the cleat, still starlit night, the only sound was the crackling of the fire.
- to leave
- ______, I would have been more successful in my search for the lost watch.
- Had the room been brighter
- Should the room be brighter
- If the room was brighter
- were the room brighter
- The stock market collapse, therefore, had been merely the first of weveral detonations in which a flimsy structure of speculation had been ______.
- leveled to the ground
- level to the ground
- leveling on the ground
- leveling to the ground
- Delegates to the political convention found ______ a candidate from among the few nominated.
- difficulty to choose
- it difficult in making the choice
- choosing difficult when selecting
- it difficult to choose
- Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway and Virginia Woolf are prolific writers.
- The Kennedy Administration further advanced racial equality by appointing many eminent blacks to high government posts.
- In the 1900s, most thoughtful Americans were not complacent about their social, Economic, and political situation.
- moderate in
- satisfied with
- clear about
- worried about
- The remoteness afforded by a vast ocean allayed fears of reprisal the colonies might otherwise have had.
- The American people, disillusioned by the failure of the crusade for democracy in World War I, announced that in no circumstances could any belligerent countries look to them for aid.